Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Well, I'm back...

Sorry it's been so long. Thanks to the two or three who have still been checking the site to see if there's anything new. It's been the most hectic semester I've endured so far, even with only three classes, but I can now call it officially over. Finals were last week, and I got my grades yesterday--2 A's and 1 B, in my Dreamweaver/Flash class. That B was a real blessing, since I was expecting a C. I plan to post some of the animations that I did in Flash, as soon as I figure out how. Anyone have any suggestions? I also (finally) got a grade for my study abroad class, an A. I'm rather upset with the teacher of that class, since I still have not had any feedback or correspondence whatever from her, even though I sent a self-addressed stamped mailer with my final stuff so that she could send it back to me with no troubles. I'm sorry, it's just rude.

Anyway, on a somewhat brighter note, it appears that Antony has had enough of my enforced silence here, and has tagged me for his idea of a meme. :^) I say that somewhat tongue-in-cheek, because leave it to him to be tagged himself and then alter the rules for his own ends. That's no way to be a monk, me boy... :^D The upshot is that I should post seven random things about me. So, here we go...

1. I am a big fan of etymology, and subscribe to an email service that sends me a word a day. It's called, A Word A Day. You can sign up very easily and become a linguaphile yourself if you like...

2. As a followup to #1, I have a favorite amongst the words that have been sent to me via AWAD over the past several years. It's petrichor (PET-ri-kuhr). It means, "The pleasant smell that accompanies the first rain after a dry spell," and comes from petro- (rock), from Greek petros (stone) + ichor (the fluid that is supposed to flow in the veins of the gods in Greek mythology.) I just think it's great that there's a word for that, and love the origin of it.

3. The longer I live as a (albeit amateur) political person, I realize that I'm becoming more and more Libertarian in my worldview. I'm still registered as a Republican, but feel that both of the two major parties are far too interested in policing our private lives (although in somewhat different directions), and both are drifting away from the Constitution. I doubt that there is any political party that I totally agree with in every area, but the Libertarians probably come the closest.

4. I don't believe in global warming. Maybe I believe in climate change, although I'm not completely convinced. I definitely don't think Al Gore could tell global warming from the gas coming from, well, whichever end of him you wish to finish that sentence with. There are too many well-respected scientists who disagree with the prevailing doom-and-gloomers to call human-caused global warming anything more than a theory. Sorry.

5. Although it may seem a bit paradoxical, I do consider myself a bit of a conservationist. Just because global warming as it is touted may be a flawed theory, doesn't mean that I think we should just trash the planet. God is pleased when we live as simply as possible, I believe. I am open to the possibility of buying a hybrid car when the time comes to let my old one go, and our final project in the Flash class, for which we got to choose our subject, was on biodiesel. This conservationist attitude of mine probably has more to do with my budding Libertarianism than any tree-hugging tendencies. It just makes sense to be as independent from the oil-producing countries as possible, especially in this day and age.

6. I am probably one of only a handful of native central Kentuckians who is definitely NOT a fan of University of KY basketball. In fact, I sometimes call myself the UK anti-fan. The specific reasons are lost to the dimness of time, but I have just never fallen for the hype. I'm especially not impressed with the fact that, although there are many really good academic programs at UK, you never seem to hear about them because all anyone talks about is that stupid game with the round orange ball... March is the worst month of the year for me...

7. I told Alan the other day that, if anything happened to our little community (church), that I would probably look into becoming a Catholic. He's been a terrible :^) influence on me... (Don't get too excited, Antony. We're not going anywhere as far as I know...)

So, anyway, there's my list of 7 random things. Now I'm supposed to tag someone (actually 7 someones, but I don't know that many who would respond). I'll tag two, just to see if they are still reading--Kyle, because I'm interested in his randomness, and Ricardipus, 'cause he's got nothing else going on right now...

posted by #Debi at 9:05 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by