Friday, May 26, 2006

My first week of classes is over, and I'm really liking the printmaking class. The teacher is great, except that he's so softspoken that I, with my years of rock-and-roll induced hearing loss, can hardly make out what he's saying sometimes. But he's very cool about letting people explore whatever type images they want, as long as the parameters of the assignment are met. I've been sort of developing a theme, I think, with Celtic images in my first project, and some ecclesiastical goings-on in the second. The first one is done, and I will post a photo of it hopefully sometime this weekend. I had hoped to have the 2nd one done by now, too, but forgot about the whole "you have to carve the block mirror image of what you want to print" thing, so I fell a bit behind in the schedule I had set for myself.

Which brings me to the point of posting now. For my third project, I plan to explore a theme of how we as Christians tend to deify the Bible (as in, the book itself rather than its contents). As part of the project, I want to print out various bits of scripture that we often take out of context, or use in ways that may not be originally intended. I call these "refrigerator scriptures." I also want to include scriptures that we take out of context to "prove" our own pet theologies, or to cast ourselves as holier-than-thou, etc. So, here's an assignment for anyone who may still come by and read this--give me your favorite (or most-hated, as the case may be) "refrigerator scripture", one you hear quoted and it makes you cringe, or just one that often gets taken out of context for one reason or another. I have my own "pets", but I'd like to hear from some different points of view. Ready? Go!

posted by #Debi at 6:07 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by