Monday, August 01, 2005

I was reading over at Andrew's site the other day (I swear, I do read other sites besides his), and a comment thread I participated in reminded me of the first rock concert I ever attended. It also happened to be my first date ever. Hang on, folks, we're about to go down memory lane...

The year would've been 1976 or '77. It was January, and a guy that I was friends with (Bill, I think his name was) had asked me to go with him to Lexington to see Blue Oyster Cult in concert. I really liked them (especially that song with not enough cow bell :^D), so I said I would go. Being that it was my first date, and I had no idea what people wore to rock concerts, I dressed up a bit, in my best gray polyester jumpsuit and maroon cowl neck top, my hair done up in its best Toni Tenille style. Sexy, huh? :^) Bill was a nice young man--I wasn't in love with him or anything, he was mostly a friend (then again, I was barely 16 and didn't know love from anything). The night of the concert was cold and a little snowy, and Bill picked me up in the roadster he was in process of restoring. It was a 1949 something (maybe an Olds, can't remember). What I do remember is that I thought it was oh, so cool, being a big fan of classic cars. Once we were settled in and on the way to the big city (I lived in Winchester, in the next county, at the time), I found out just how "cool" this car really was. Remember, January, cold, snowy, OK? Well, it seemed that Bill had concentrated his restoration efforts on the engine and body work. Non-essentials such as heater and radio were left to last. Yes, folks, there was no heater in this baby, in mid-winter, and no radio to distract us from the fact that there was no heater. Not only that, but we had found out, maybe that day, that BOC had decided not to show up for the concert, and another band (I think it might have been Head East or something) was headlining in their place. Well, I had never heard of them, but this was the first time my parents had let me out of the house alone with a boy in his car, so I determined to make the best of it. Besides, it's been my experience that I may not know the name of a band, but I find that I know their music. So, I thought, I might actually know these guys without realizing it.

Anyways, a freezing half-hour later, we were in Lexington in Rupp Arena, waiting for the show to start. We were way up in the "nearer my God to Thee" seats, which were sparsely populated, no doubt due to the weather and the fact that the original band didn't show. The warm-up band was T-Rex, a band that, at that time, I had never heard of, but who were pretty good, as I remember. Part of the way through their set, my date decided that it would be a good time to set off the firecrackers that he had brought in in his pocket. What the...?! As you might imagine, it didn't take long for security to show up, being that we weren't hiding in a crowd or anything, and they took Bill away! Holy crap! I was freaking out--my first date, and now there I was, stranded at a concert, wondering how the heck I was gonna get back home, wondering what the heck they were doing to Bill. Had he been arrested? Taken downtown? Did he tell them that I was still there waiting for him?! After what seemed to be an hour or so, but probably wasn't that long, because T-Rex was still playing, he finally showed up again at my side. Get this--he had to buy another ticket to get back in again and get me out! At that point, the "magic" of the concert was gone, so we left and came back to Winchester. We ended up at a "teen center" that had just opened up in town. It was basically the fore-runner of an arcade, with pinball, pool tables, and those new-fangled video games, Asteroids and Pac-Man. :^) I think I beat Bill a couple of times at pool (my dad had a table in the house at that time), then he took me home. I don't think we ever went out again...

posted by #Debi at 8:06 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by