Tuesday, June 14, 2005

It appears that I have been tagged. I was secretly hoping that someone would invite me to join the game...So here are my answers to the Inquisitors:

How many books do you own?
I had to actually make a count, which was helpful because I need to take a bunch of these to the used bookstore and see if they will buy any of them from me. Anyway, my answer is: 350+

What was the last book you bought?
That would be the textbook for the summer school class I am taking--Art Across Time, Vol. II--The Fourteenth Century to the Present (2nd ed.), by Laurie Schneider Adams.

What was the last book you read?
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, by Douglas Adams.

Name five books that mean a lot to you:
1. How the Irish Saved Civilization, by Thomas Cahill
2. Celtic Fire: The Passionate Religious Vision of Ancient Britain and Ireland, Robert Van de Weyer, ed. (This is a sort of compendium of condensed life stories of the Celtic Saints, and selections from their writings.)
3. Shame and Grace, by Lewis Smedes. Every time I lend this book out, I end up having to buy a new copy. I definitely recommend it for anyone going through feelings of unworthiness or excessive shame.
4. The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence. A tiny little book packed through with wisdom. Written by a 17th century monk who was able to experience God in the midst of daily chores such as peeling potatoes.
5. The Celtic Way of Evangelism, by George G. Hunter III. This book will change the way you think about church and evangelism and how they are done.

Honorable Mention:
There are so many, but here's a selection of my favorites:
Thoughts in Solitude, by Thomas Merton
Majestic Is His Name--a selection of the writings of St. Theresa of Avila
Ancient-Future Faith, by Robert Webber
and last but not least, A Good Man Is Hard To Find (Unless You Ask God To Be The Head of Your Search Committee), by Jo Lynne Pool. Believe it or not, I've bought 5 or 6 copies of this book for various single female friends who were all in a flurry about finding a husband. The upshot of the book is, concentrate on becoming an interesting person rather than try to find an interesting person. Then you find that interesting people gravitate toward you. One of the better chapter headings is: Get A Life. :^)

By the way, in doing my "research" for this little project, I discovered that I no longer have my copy of How the Irish Saved Civilization. I seem to remember lending it out some time ago, but can't remember to whom. If one of you reading this has it, let me know. There's no hurry on returning it, but I'd like to remember where it went...

I almost forgot, I have to "tag" some others! Let's see, how about: Allison, Alan, and Laura. (I hope I don't end up having to email them of their "tagging". Hopefully, they'll read it here. :^D)

posted by #Debi at 2:56 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by