Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Well, it's official. I've been waiting to post until I got official word of what my grades for this past semester would be. I had a pretty good idea of what I'd end up with, but wanted to wait until the grades were posted, just in case. But, the grades are now posted, and I'm pleased to report that I got another round of A's for a 4.0 GPA semester. Yay! That's two down, and looking like another 4 to go, unless I can get some summer school classes. I am registered for summer school with only one class, because that's all EKU is offering that will fit into my curriculum. It's kind of a bummer, because I was hoping to be able to take a studio class over the summer. That would've allowed me to apply for the BFA program in the fall. Now I have to wait until spring 2006 to apply. But hey, that's the way the cookie crumbles, I guess.

Summer school starts one week from today. As I said, I only have the one class, Survey of Art History II (Renaissance to present). So I'm hoping to be able to carry full time at work so I can make some money for those two nasty habits of mine, food and shelter. Plus I'll be paying for summer school myself, since student loans don't apply unless you're going full time. I'm looking forward to the class, since I'm a bit of a history nerd anyway, but I'm really gonna miss the studio classes. I had such fun in those that I had to make myself leave.

I got some really encouraging feedback from my ceramics teacher in my final critique. He said a couple of times that I was a really good student. He seemed to mean more by it than just a passing complement--it seemed to be more of a commentary on how I used my time and the fact that I really listened to everything that was said and diligently applied the information. Well, yeah... One of the nicest things he said in the critique was that there are students that have an innate talent, but don't really work hard, and there are students that work really hard but don't have the innate talent to do well. In his opinion, I have both. I don't know about that--I'm still in a place where effusive praise is uncomfortable to me, being that I'm really not used to it, especially from authority figures. The other really cool thing he did was, when I mentioned to him that I had been taking photos of my work all semester, in case I needed them for my portfolio, he asked for a copy of the photos "to use as examples for future classes." That was amazing for me to hear. I also am allowed to use the studio over the summer to work on some personal projects. He encouraged me to take as many ceramics classes as I could, given that I'm not a ceramics major. Unfortunately, it's gonna be at least spring before I'll be able to fit it into the schedule. I need to get into the BFA program before I can think of classes to take for the sheer pleasure of it.

Right now, I'm freaking out just a little bit about the state of my apartment. It's an unholy mess at the moment, so much so that it's a little overwhelming. I need those guys who do that show to come in and just throw crap out. The problem is that I'm a packrat (recovering, but still...) and it's hard for me to part with stuff. I need to sell a bunch of stuff on eBay--that would make me feel better about getting rid of stuff, if I got money for it. Anyone know anybody who'd like to buy an older iMac? Or an electric typewriter? Or books that have never been read? Send them my way! One thing I'm gonna try to do over the summer is take an inventory of all the stuff in my crafts closet and see if any of the classes at school can use any of this stuff. I've found that some of the teachers are very grateful if you bring them the simplest things. For instance, the printmaking teacher was very thankful when I brought him three Lexington phone books. Apparently, they use the pages to clean the presses and such. I'm gonna have to find out if the theater department makes their own costumes and offer them some of the fabric that I've collected over the years. "Someday, I'll make something out of that" is just not coming to pass.

Well, I've rambled on far too long. I guess I'll sign off for now. Later!

posted by #Debi at 5:02 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by