Saturday, April 23, 2005
Reasons that I want to be cremated rather than buried:
1. I don’t want anyone to have to go through the ordeal of having to pick out my “final outfit.” (I’m listening to an episode of Friends which is on in the other room in which they have to pick out Grandma’s burial clothes. That’s why I am thinking along these lines...)
2. I’m a little claustrophbic.
3. I’m a little afraid of the dark. (Yeah, I know I won’t really be there, but still...)
4. I want to have all usable parts of me donated, including skin, corneas, bone, and all that. (Don’t stick the rest of me in a drawer in a university lab, though. That’s as bad as being buried.)
5. I hope to be scattered over someplace wonderful. Ireland, maybe? :^) There’s enough pagan in me that I have an idea of my spirit being in that wonderful place.
6. I can’t imagine being remembered only by a headstone in some cemetary somewhere.
7. I don’t want anyone’s memory of me to be my body in a casket. Rather remember me for the things I did in life.
8. I can’t imagine paying for either a headstone or a casket. Or a plot of land, for that matter...
I thought that I would get ten reasons out of this, but I can’t think of anything else compelling. So I guess I’ll get off the morbidity train now. I don’t expect to be needing this list anytime soon, but I think it’s a good idea to get it down in writing, just in case... So, everyone have a wonderful weekend! :^D