Saturday, January 01, 2005

It appears that I am totally focused on my classes. I miss being in school, even though it's only been two weeks since finals week, and only one more week 'til classes start again. I've been watching the Rose Bowl Parade, and most of what I thought about while watching all the gorgeous floats go by was how the principles I learned this last semester would apply to the designing, building, and decorating of the floats, and how fascinating that was. It really is fascinating, at least to me, how they choose different types of organic materials, based on their color and texture, and use them in creative ways to make these wonderful panoramas. It made me wish for next semester to hurry up and get here so I can add more to my knowledge.

I have to admit, too, that there is an air, for me, of the "unreal" on campus (as in a suspension of "real life" concerns of bills, lack of money, and all that could entail in terms of keeping everything "on", like my phone, electricity, and so on). Now that I'm not in classes and have more time to concentrate on such things, I can feel the depression starting to try and overwhelm me again. My classes have apparently been like a natural antidepressant; the creative process has kept me focused on the future and not on how bad things are right now. My friend Toni has asked me to consider going with her this summer when she goes to Ireland and Scotland after dropping her kids off to visit with their dad in Norway. I desperately want to go, but I don't see how the finances can work out to allow me to go. I'm going to give it my best shot to save up the money to go--I guess I'll just have to wait and see if it's in the cards for me. I don't even know right now how to go about getting a passport--I guess there's a lot I need to learn next semester, eh?

New Year's Eve was a low-key, solitary event for me this year. All I did was rent the movie Garden State, buy a bottle of white merlot and some stuff to make a nice little Italian dinner, and ring in the New Year with the TV. Garden State is a really good movie, btw; I highly recommend it. It's a serious subject, but is dealt with in a gently humorous manner that softens it somewhat. Zach Braff is to be commended for a wonderful first movie, having written the screenplay and directed the movie as well as starred in it. It was a bit bizarre to see Jean Smart, most known for her portrayal of one of the Designing Women, play a pot-smoking single mother. The drug use portrayed in the movie was pretty much a constant fixture, so it's probably not a movie to see with the kids. It's still a good movie, though.

I guess that's all for now. One of my New Year's resolutions (still not fully formed, but which may be posted later this weekend) is to be more diligent about keeping up the housework, so I'd better get to that. I'm meeting Brian later this evening to go see Ocean's Twelve, so if I'm gonna do housework today, it's gotta be now. Wish me luck, and--Happy New Year to all!

posted by #Debi at 1:33 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by