Sunday, February 01, 2004

blogger_idol-1.gif Week 3: “A day in the life of…”
I know most people are probably going to do a day in the life of themselves, but I talk so much about myself in this space that I thought I’d do something a little different. Today is the feast day in the Catholic and Episcopal calendars commemorating Saint Brigid of Ireland, one of my favorite saints to read about, and one that I would love to pattern my life after. (I actually once had a dream about being like St. Brigid.) So I will give you an overview of her life on this, her commemoration day.

Brigid of Ireland (c. 460-525) was ultimately famous for being the abbess of the monastery at Kildare, which was unusual in that it had both a convent for women and a monastery for men. The men and women came together in one church for worship. Kildare was famous for being a center of learning, having an art school which became famous for its metalwork and for the copying of manuscripts in its scriptorium. (The concept of the monastery scriptorium is the inspiration for the title of this blog.)

Brigid was also famous for her charity in her early life. She couldn’t bear to see anyone cold or hungry, so often gave her own food and clothing to the poor, leaving herself with nothing to eat or wear. Once she had given away all of her own possessions, she began giving away her family’s things, much to the consternation of her father. (This is part of where I tend to be like her, in a VERY SMALL way. I have a bad habit, as my friends will tell you, of volunteering other people’s time, treasure, and talents, sometimes without asking them first. I realize that this is not necessarily a virtue, and am working on restraining myself to only giving what I have to give, and not coercing others to join in. :^}) The most famous incident of Brigid giving away the things of others is when she gave her father’s sword, which was extremely valuable, to a leper. He tried to marry her off to get rid of this drain on his resources, but she took vows instead. She then went about establishing convents all over Ireland, and is now one of the three patron saints of Ireland, along with Patrick and Columba of Iona. She is also the patron saint of babies, blacksmiths, boatmen, cattle, chicken farmers, children whose parents are not married, dairymaids, dairy workers, fugitives, infants, mariners, midwives, milk maids, newborn babies, nuns, poets, poultry farmers, poultry raisers, printing presses, sailors, scholars, travellers, and watermen. That’s a lot to be responsible for!

I see that this post is getting very long, but I want to include one more thing—a prayer which is attributed to Brigid, which I really enjoy:

I should like a great lake of finest ale for the King of Kings.
I should like a table of the choicest food for the family of heaven.
Let the ale be made from the fruits of faith,
And the food be forgiving love.

I should welcome the poor to my feast,
For they are God’s children.
I should welcome the sick to my feast,
For they are God’s joy.
Let the poor sit with Jesus at the highest place,
And the sick dance with the angels.

God bless the poor, God bless the sick, and bless our human race.
God bless our food, God bless our drink, all homes, O God, embrace.

posted by #Debi at 2:17 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by