Tuesday, February 24, 2004

I've been hearing a lot in the news lately about all the debate going on concerning gay marriage. I'm trying to formulate an intelligent position on whether I'm for or against it, from an emerging Christian perspective. My gut response, of course, is that I'm against it--same sex marriage is not what God intended when He set up the institution of marriage. I am, however, sympathetic to those long-term gay couples who make the arguments about one partner being in ICU, for example, and the other not being able to get status reports or even visit. But those types of arguments are "legal" matters, things belonging to Caesar that should be under Caesar's jurisdiction and not the church's, if you will. My feeling is that same sex couples that are "gay" enough to want to get married are not the ones likely to be "evangelized" into leaving the gay lifestyle anytime soon. I would pray that they would come to see that homosexuality is not God's perfect will, but we must take people as they are. Anyway, my stated position when all these debates started was that I could handle "civil unions", but not actual "marriages" between gay couples. As the debate in the media has progressed, however, I have come to realize that, from a legal standpoint, I really don't have a good grasp of the difference between the two. Is there someone out there who can educate me on the difference between a civil union and a marriage, as far as government and the law is concerned? I have heard the ultra-conservative argument that the only reason that gays want same sex marriage legalized as opposed to civil unions, is that they have an agenda to get all us Christians to condone their lifestyle. This seems a bit facile to me. I'm sure that may be the case for some, but I know that there are many others who really don't care what anyone else thinks, they just want to live their life and be left alone. I really care about this issue, because I have gay friends--some who struggle with their homosexual feelings and are trying to live godly lives, however that plays out, and others who aren't struggling--they are happily gay and intend to stay that way. To the former I want to be part of a support mechanism to encourage them in their walk. To the latter I want to be a friend who, if and when the time comes, they can trust to be there to answer spiritual questions or just be there, modeling Christ in whatever way presents itself.

posted by #Debi at 10:38 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by