Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Go, Debi--it's my birthday! Go, Debi, go, Debi... OK, enough of that! Yes, about a hour ago I turned 43. I'm not sure why I still get so excited about birthdays. Presents? Sure, I'll take 'em, but a heart-felt hug and a "Happy Day" go a long way with me, too. (That lets no one off the hook!:^P)

Maybe it's some sort of arrested development thing, that my birthday makes me feel a little kid. I only remember one birthday party (I think it was my 8th), and the most significant thing I remember about that is the gift my Grandma gave me. There was this HUGE box wrapped with very colorful paper, and I was all excited. What could possibly be in such a large box? I opened it, and it was filled with newspaper. I dug down into the box, and there was nothing but more newspaper! I was just at the point that I was ready to cry that my Grandma would be so cruel as to give me a box of newspaper for my birthday, when my Mom reached in, dug around for a bit, and came up with a small jewelry box. It was a topaz solitaire ring, set in 14K gold. (Topaz is the birthstone for November.) It was lovely, but my appreciation was dimmed a little because of the trauma of the box of paper. Don't ever think that your kids, nieces/nephews, etc., will think it cute if you do this. (I still have that ring, btw, although it doesn't even fit my pinky finger now. I'm thinking of having the stone made into a necklace someday.)

Anyway (Whew, I didn't know I was going to end up telling that when I got up this morning!), I think that one of the main reasons I get excited on my birthday is just the fact that I'm still having them. I can remember as a teenager not being able to imagine being in my forties. I know that if I did imagine it, it wasn't anything like it's turned out to be. Marriage--no, children--no, but all in all (present circumstances aside), it's pretty good to be 43. I'm relatively happy, but more important than that, I have a core joy that has to do with having God in my life and knowing He's on my side. I would say that cliche about "it's better than the alternative", but the alternative is pretty cool, too--for a believer. As a wise old man once told me, though, "Heaven is my home, but I'm not homesick yet."

posted by #Debi at 6:13 AM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by