Monday, June 02, 2003

I laughed, I cried, Liz snorted...

Yesterday, Liz and I went to see "Bruce Almighty". It was even better than I had thought it might be. There were the most hilarious moments in it, some potty humor (which Liz and I seem to like), and also some very poignant moments. I won't tell much about the plot--if you surf many of the same blogs I do, you've got an idea of the plot. I had heard (read) lots of things about how there is an overt Christian message, etc., but was frankly sceptical, given that it does star Jim Carrey and all. He's not exactly known for "spiritual" movies. But I was pleasantly surprised. It was almost like one of those movies produced by Franklin Graham's production company, except for a couple of scenes that definitely wouldn't pass the censor there. It is rated PG-13, so you might want to watch it by yourself before taking the kids along. Oh, yeah--make sure you hang around for a few moments after you think it's over--like a lot of Jim Carrey movies, there's out takes at the end. Although, as Liz said, the "in-takes" (her coined word) were just as funny. I think this is definitely one for the DVD collection.

We got to go for free (well, for the most part) because I "won" more theater gift certificates at work (that was how I was able to take Matt and Brian out last weekend). I put won in quotes because the certificates were actually an incentive to do overtime at work. All those who actually showed up for all their scheduled OT in a pay period got them. As Matt said when I told him I'd gotten another set, it's sad that you win a prize just for showing up when you're supposed to at work. My answer to him was that the truly sad part was that only 2 of us got them. It's now looking like we will be doing overtime throughout the month of June as well. Good for the pocketbook, not so great for morale.

'K, I'm a little freaked out right now, because it sounds like someone is shooting a firearm outside the apartment complex. There was a woman found dead this morning outside a home in another neighborhood in town. One of her neighbors was quoted as saying that the sound of gunfire had become so prevalent on her street lately that they didn't think to look out and see what was going on. That's so very sad, but I have to admit that, even though it's not a usual thing in this neighborhood and I hope it's just someone shooting off fireworks, I'm a little afraid to look out the window in case it was gunfire and I end up shot myself. Over-reacting? Probably, but I don't like the trend of things in town lately, especially with the recent stuff going on in city government. They are talking about cutting the budget for police and firemen, even though these workers are already so underpaid that a lot of them are leaving to find better paying jobs elsewhere. Our little town is growing up, I guess, and not totally in a good way. This wasn't the way I had intended to end this post, but there it is.

posted by #Debi at 11:56 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by