Sunday, September 08, 2002

I spent the better part of this morning weeping. I watched "CBS Sunday Morning", as I usually do on Sunday mornings, and it was a special on the one-year anniversary of 9/11. I don't even like to call what happened "9/11", because for some reason it makes it sound like the date is the important thing. I mean, we don't usually call the bombing of Pearl Harbor "12/7". It sounds so impersonal, somehow, to refer to the loss of some 3000 people by a set of numbers. I thought it would be OK to watch the tribute on "Sunday Morning", as I generally consider Charles Curalt to be a journalist with sensitivity and one who doesn't go for sensatonalism. I was correct in that assumption, even though he was not hosting today--the show was very sensitive and tasteful. It struck me, though, as if it was only yesterday that the WTC came down. I cried a lot, then, as well. I'm not exactly sure why; I didn't know anyone who died that day or anything. It was just all so senseless. I was OK until they talked about the people who took back the plane that went down in Pennsylvania, and the fact that those people consciously sacrificed their lives to keep the terrorists from taking out another building full of people. I don't know how I would have responded in a similar situation. I hope never to have to find out.

I made myself watch all of the show, and all of "Access Hollywood", which also was a tribute show and which I had taped from last night. I always hit "record" when "Saturday Night Live" comes on and let the machine record until the tape runs out. "Access Hollywood" mentioned a website that I visited called Here Is New York, which is an exhibit of photos of that day from both New York and the Pentagon, mostly taken by amateurs who donated them to the project. It is a cathartic to visit and see the photos. They have a schedule of sites around the country where the exhibit will be shown, one of which is Louisville, KY. I have thought of going there, but will probably end up just visiting the site. All proceeds from the sale of prints, books, etc., go to the Childrens Aid Society WTC Relief Fund, in case anyone is interested.

I'm off track here--the reason I made myself watch all of both shows is that I wanted to know that I could still feel grief for those strangers. I don't want to become unfeeling to the tragedy and mourning of others. The Bible says to rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep. I've not always been the best at that. I have a tendency, like so many of us, to get all wrapped up in my own deal and forget that there are other people out there besides me who are dealing with far greater issues than I am. I probably will not watch everything that comes on this week, because I'm not sure I can deal with all that rehashing--I know that, as much as the networks may have good intentions, there will be some sensationalism.

On a happier note (maybe), I joined the FlyLady thing that Liz Creech mentioned on her blog--it's supposed to be some kind of system to help you get your house cleaning life organized. Boy, do I need that! I'm hopeful that this will help. Now if I can just step away from the computer long enough to implement some of the tips, we'll be doing good!

I'm looking forward to next weekend and the regional gathering at Vineyard Central. I'm planning to be baptised, and was hoping to get to finally meet Laura Ogle, but it's looking like she won't be able to make it. Pray for her dad and her family.

It's getting very late by my standards, and I'm beginning to ramble, so I'll sign off for now.

posted by #Debi at 11:40 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by