Friday, July 12, 2002

I never knew how difficult it was going to be to keep up with reading all the blogs I wanted to try to read daily. I guess I'm going to have to strategize and pick a few of my favorites and primarily read them. Of course, a couple of those will have to be Alan's and Liz's blogs, and if Robert ever gets up off his behind and writes down some of his terminally funny stuff, he'll be a daily read, also. I also quite enjoy Kevin Rains' blog, probably because he and Alan are so....interchangeable. (I'm sure Liz and Tracy wouldn't think so, but they are awfully like-minded.)

I took the nerd test and ended up with a score of -32
for a percentage of -6.85%! I think that's a good thing....maybe it just underscores my computer illiteracy.
Sometimes, even though I work on a computer all day and play on one all evening, I feel like a monkey with a slide rule. (OK, was that just a nerd analogy? Uh-oh...) I did find it very interesting that I got 25 extra points for simply being cool enough to own a Mac. :)

I just caught up on Liz's blog and I think I've created a monster. I told her the other night that I liked her blog because she wasn't afraid to say "bad words" to express herself, and apparently she then went and got out her thesaurus. You forgot my favorite one, Liz, the one that my mom says a lot. I'm trying to figure out the etymology of "shit the bed!" (also said with a way country accent). Of course, there's the tried and true "slicker'n snot on a brass doorknob". I would love to study etymology (the study of the origins of words and phrases) for real, but some of these would make a really interesting term paper.

But seriously.....I thought it would be interesting, since this is the Scriptorium, to share with you all a little prayer that I have hanging on my wall to inspire me when I get out my pens and ink. This is actually the only piece of calligraphy that I have done so far that is just for me. Everything else I've done (framed, I should say; I have plenty in my sketchbook), has been for other folks. This comes from a book that Alan lent me called "Celtic Fire", edited by Robert Van De Weyer. It's out of print, but if anybody knows how to hook me up with my own copy, I'd be grateful for the info.

The Scribe

My hand is weary from writing; my sharp quill is not steady; as its tender tip spits its dark, blue stream, the words which are formed on the page are jagged and uncertain.

O Lord, may it be your wisdom, not my folly, which passes through my arm and hand; may your words take shape upon the page. For when I am truly faithful to your dictation, my hand is firm and strong.

Let me never write words that are callous or profane; let your priceless jewels shine upon these pages.

I think this is a fitting dedication prayer for this blog; even though I'm typing rather than writing with a pen, the sentiment is the same--Lord, let it be Your words and not mine which show up here. I plan to share a lot more of my favorite writings with you all here--it reinforces them in me as I write them, and is a kind of meditation for me. That's kinda how I feel about the calligraphy, too.

posted by #Debi at 8:44 PM | permalink | 0 comments

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

|


Hi, I'm Debi. Once in a while I have a thought and I like to write it down before it goes away. This is where I write it.


100 things about me

Contact Debi

my design website


Subscribe to my RSS feed


Subscribe in NewsGator Online
Subscribe in Rojo
Add The Scriptorium to Newsburst from CNET News.com
Add to Google

Put a Pin on the Map View my Guestmap
Free Guestmaps by Bravenet.com

Debi Warford's Profile
Debi Warford's Facebook Profile
Create Your Badge

my photos

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos from debiwarford. Make your own badge here.

deep thoughts

links

ale-8-one
babelfish
bible gateway
bob & sheri
body for life
eastern kentucky university
fenian history
sean hannity
lexington celtic assn
g gordon liddy
sneaky peat
ulster project international
universalis (daily office)
vineyard central

blogs

a cup of Rich
alan creech
aled hughes
allison mabley
antony's attic
at home with keith
benediction blogs on
bloggedyblog
blondladybug
brian phillips
bryan sherwood
cliff between the lines
darren rowse
faithmaps
fatblueman
garden escapades
jason evans
jordon cooper
kevin rains
laura ogle
liz creech
matt mcdonald
mike todd
mr. farty
my neighbours are hoors
northwoods contemplative
nowheresville, usa
patrick puckett
peter matthews
peter white
pigeons escaped
publog
rachel kochackis
real live preacher
ricardiblog
rikaitch
scaryduck
where the hell was i?
the wrath of dawn


More weather by AccuWeather®

blog template designed by